Lemon Loaf Bread
This Lemon Bread is surprisingly tasty. The sweet and tangy sour taste all mixed together with the addition of lemon glaze on top is enough to make you crave for more. Imagine the lemon bread at Starbucks. All you can say is YUM!
This lemon bread is amazingly tasty, with the just right amount of balance of sweetness and tanginess. I love this recipe. not only it’s easy to make but you don’t need tons of equipment to bake. If you want it with a little more of lemony flavor, you can always add more lemon zest and juice. But the amount I incorporate with this recipe is just enough for those who just wants a sweet and sour taste. So how do we make a lemon loaf bread? Easy. Gather the ingredients below and some baking equipment plus love and enthusiasm.
WHAT YOU’LL NEED TO MAKE LEMON LOAF BREAD
- All purpose flour
- Baking powder
- Baking soda
- Lemon zest
- Lemon juice
- Unsalted butter
- Powdered sugar (for the glaze)
BAKING TOOLS I USE:
- Mixing bowl – I always used the glass mixing bowl I have, but you can use any kind.
- Spatula for mixing
- Handheld mixer – I used this mixer just to incorporate the ingredients more, but if you don’t have one you can always use just a spatula.
- Loaf pan – this is easy to find and cheap. I use the 8.5×4.5×2.75 pan I got from Homegoods store.
- Zester for the lemon zest
- Parchment paper – this is for the pan to easily remove it. But if you don’t have it you can always just spray a nonstick spray in you pan so the loaf will not stick.
- Kitchen scale – this is very important. I stop using cups as measurements as it gives me different results every time. Kitchen scale gives an accurate measurement. You can always invest with one. And you can find a cheap scale at Amazon.
HOW TO MAKE LEMON LOAF BREAD
FOR THE BREAD:
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees. I always try to remember to do this. It gives a nice result that the oven is at the right temperature.
- To begin, I’d like to zest the lemon first. Using the lemon zester, grate the lemon. Be careful not to grate the white part of the lemon as it will leave a bitter taste. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the dry ingredients, flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Then set aside.
- In another bowl whisk together the eggs, melted butter and sugar. I like creaming my butter with sugar and eggs.
- Next add the lemon zest, lemon juice and lemon zest along with milk. Whisk together using spatula or hand mixer.
- Then add the dry ingredients. I try to mix in the dry ingredients, dividing it into three parts. then continue to mix until well incorporated. The batter should look a little thick.
- Pour the batter into the loaf pan.
- Bake for 55 to 60 minutes. Of course, my Alexa will do the timing. But you can use the oven timer or your phone.
- After 55 minutes, I usually insert a wooden pick or fork and when it comes out clean, it means it’s done.
- Take the pan out of the oven. Let it cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Then remove the lemon loaf bread from the pan and let it cool completely on a wire rack.
- Once it is completely cool. Garnish with the prepared glaze on top. You can always choose how you want the glaze to look on top. I prefer not to pour so much, so I did a line glaze.
FOR THE GLAZE:
- In a small bowl mix together the powdered sugar, lemon juice and milk.
- whisk together until you get the kind of consistency you desire.
NOTES AND SOME TIPS:
- Depending on your lemon, but I use about 2 average size of lemons for the zest and the juice.
- Avoid opening the oven door to check the bread (honestly, I do this all the time and it gives me a deflated bread because of the air coming in.) So, try to avoid as much as possible.
- Avoid overmixing the batter. I do mine like 30 to 45 seconds on hand mixer and about 15 folds using spatula.
- Use kitchen scale to measure flour and dry ingredients.
Lemon Loaf Bread
- 300 g. all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp lemon zest about 2 medium size lemons
- 150 grams granulated sugar
- 3 medium size eggs
- 113 g unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup lemon juice about 2 medium size lemons
- 1/2 cup milk
For the Glaze
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp milk
For the Bread
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees
- Combine dry ingredients. Flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Whisk together.
- In another bowl, beat together butter, sugar and eggs. Add in lemon zest and lemon juice. Stir in milk. Mix until well combined.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet mixture in three parts. Mix well until fully incorporated, but do not overmix.
- Transfer batter to the loaf pan with parchment paper.
- Bake for 55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Cool in pan for 10 minutes. then remove from the pan and let rest for another 10 minutes in a wire rack.
For the Glaze
- While letting the Lemon Loaf Bread cool. combine the powdered sugar, lemon juice and milk in a bowl.
- Whisk until well combined and until you get the kind of consistency you desire.
- Pour into the cooled Lemon Loaf Bread the way you like.